Day of Hope funds flowers

By Kiran Sood

As part of Daffodil Days, the American Cancer Society will sponsor a Day of Hope Wednesday, where money will be raised to deliver daffodils to 1,200 cancer patients in the Champaign-Urbana area in March.

Lauren Giovagnoli, income development manager for the American Cancer Society and organizer of the Day of Hope, said that volunteers will collect money at 10 different locations for the event. Patients at cancer centers at Carle Foundation Hospital, Christie Clinic and the Provena Center will receive the bouquets.

Giovagnoli said this is the fourth year the society has worked with cancer patients in the area, but the first year the Day of Hope will be held.

“We recruited volunteers from the area and got the support of local businesses as well,” Giovagnoli said. “Together, these people all helped make the day possible.”

The goal is to raise more than $18,000 to deliver daffodils to every cancer patient in the area, Giovagnoli said. Students and community members everywhere are encouraged to volunteer and take part in the day’s events.

“The Day of Hope aims to bring joy to cancer patients (through the delivering of daffodils),” she said.

Through the American Cancer Society’s Colleges Against Cancer program, college students are having fun while making a difference in the lives of people facing cancer. The program allows college students, faculty and staff to work together to bring American Cancer Society programs and services to college communities nationwide.

The American Cancer Society has many events coming up in the near future. March is Colon Cancer Awareness month and a Relay for Life will be at the University on March 31 from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.

Libby Gage, regional director of the American Cancer Society, said the next big event was the Relay for Life competition. Relay For Life is a fun-filled overnight event designed to celebrate survivorship and raise money for research and programs of the American Cancer Society. During the event, teams of people gather at schools, fairgrounds or parks and take turns walking or running laps. Each team tries to keep at least one team member on the track at all times.

More than 20 years ago, one man took it upon himself to raise money to support the efforts of the American Cancer Society. Today, more than three million Americans participate in relay events nationwide.