University expects good behavior

By Christine Won

University Housing is preparing for Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day by explaining to students living in residence halls what is expected of them this Friday.

A mass e-mail was sent out to University students Tuesday informing them that violating the Student Code will result in severe consequences.

Bob Wilczynski, assistant director of Residential Life for Community Standards, said students last year hadn’t realized they could get in trouble, so the e-mail was sent out to remind of the consequences before rather than after the fact.

“This is so students understand that Unofficial is not free time to get away with things,” he said. “People need to understand that their actions and the actions of their guests could result in having to leave housing or even the University.”

Students will be responsible for the actions of their guests as written in the housing contract, he said. There will be an increased presence of the Champaign police as well as the State police because of increased traffic from the number of guests coming into town.

The Office of the Provost is encouraging faculty to not tolerate disruptive behavior from students like they saw last year, Wilczynski said. The Office of the Dean of Students staff and University police will be on patrol and prepared to be dispatched to alleviate any disruptions.

Students can be placed on probation and potentially be dismissed from the University.

“We’re helping people understand whatever you do on Unofficial, there’s a good chance you’re going to be held accountable,” Wilczynski said.

There will be additional staffing by the University and University police inside residence and dining halls, he said. All outside security doors will be locked during daytime hours on Friday. Students will have to use their I-cards to enter their buildings throughout the day.

Kate Levine contributed to this report