Highway construction to include 300 projects

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Beth Gilomen

Students will run into highway construction when driving around the state starting in 2007. Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich proposed more than $10 billion for a Multi-Year Highway Improvement Program that includes nearly 300 specific projects.

Improvements will be made to 884 bridges and 4,280 miles of highways. Key developments will include the addition of lanes on I-55 from I-80 to Weber Road, reconstruction of I-90/94, also known as the Dan Ryan Expressway, from 31st street to I-57 and I-80, also known as the Kingery Expressway, from I-94 to the Indiana state line.

The Multi-year Highway Improvement Program will combine more than $7 billion in federal funds, more than $2 billion in state funds and $645 million in local funds. The federal funding will be available to Illinois as part of Congress’s federal transportation legislation entitled Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users. The funds will be accessed through the Jobs for Illinois program in an effort to meet safety and maintenance needs of the transportation system as well as assist in the creation of jobs.

The project is aimed at maintaining the existing system, rather than beginning new development due to rising fuel and materials costs. The state of Illinois has lowered its expectations for motor fuel tax and future vehicle registration revenue in response to the increase in fuel prices. However, materials shortages, including steel, cement and asphalt, have caused planners to target the areas that are in need of the most work.

Matt Vanover, spokesman for the Illinois Department of Transportation, said he has seen an approximate 10 percent increase in material costs in the pat few years. The material shortage will lead to longer, more delayed work, and fewer allocated improvements, Vanover said.

Stefanie Cramer, sophomore in LAS, said that the renovations would be both a burden and an improvement.

“Normally, when I take 90/94, I’m going to Chicago from Champaign to see friends in the city,” Cramer said. “The traffic in Chicago is ridiculous and I just think it’s going to create another hassle for drivers, but the road’s not in the best shape, so improvements would help in the long run, but sometimes it’s hard to foresee that when you’re sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.”

However, Kevin Solecki, sophomore in LAS, said that he is happy with recent improvements that have been made in Illinois.

“I’m from Normal, so I take I-74 to and from school,” Solecki said. “For a long time they had sections of it down to one lane, and I would get stuck for up to 45 minutes. But now that it’s done, there’s no congestion and the road is really smooth. I actually enjoy driving on it now.”

Construction under the program will begin in July 2007 and continue to July 2012.