Liquor code changes discussed

By Erin Kelley

The Liquor Advisory Commission met Thursday to discuss special event permits and code changes for temporary liquor licenses.

Mark Roszkowski, a professor at the University, addressed the council with two issues: where the council stands on Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day and the excess supply of alcohol on campus.

Roszkowski pointed out that both Chancellor Richard H. Herman and Champaign Mayor Gerald Schweighart support canceling Unofficial, and he wanted to know the commission and the Champaign City Council’s position.

The second issue was a letter that Roszkowski wrote in 1999 telling the commission of the continuing and growing problem of the number of students being transported to area hospitals. He believes kegs should not be sold to students and that if hard liquor is served in bars it should only be in mixed drinks.

The council said they will hear recommendations for Unofficial in June but did agree that the growing transport of intoxicated students is a problem. They came to the conclusion that they cannot control the decision-making process of every individual.

The council then discussed the special event permits, noise ordinance and temporary licenses report. The council moved and approved the noise ordinance be amended so that private parties and business owners had the same time restraints for outdoor sound amplification.

After a discussion among the members on other recommendations to the report, the meeting was adjourned.