ISR program challenges racial taboos

By Frank Radosevich II

A program titled the “N Word Program,” held at Illinois Street Residence Halls Thursday night, discussed the often tense and emotional topic of the words “nigga” and “nigger.”

The program was preceded by a bulletin board explaining the issue’s significance and scope.

Students from different backgrounds came and voiced their opinions on the words’ usage and meanings. They were also encouraged to provide feedback on their reaction to the bulletin board.

The bulletin board titled “Nigga What?” was produced by Lauren Johnson, senior in LAS and an ISR multicultural advocate, a student position created to advance multiculturalism within the University’s residence halls.

Approximately two weeks ago, an unknown individual or individuals damaged the bulletin board on several occasions by tearing down portions of it.

An identical bulletin board in Garner Hall was also damaged.

Since “nigga” and “nigger” are commonly seen as highly derogatory or taboo subjects, the program was designed to foster a dialogue that appeared to be lacking on campus.

“I commend you all for being here because you want to learn further,” Johnson said.

The terms are considered by many to be hateful racial slurs toward blacks. However, others believe the terms communicate, under certain circumstances, familiarity, endearment or kinship between family and friends.

Several students saw the terms as a double-edged sword, acceptable in some occasions yet decidedly unacceptable in others. The words contain more than 400 years of black history and at times contradictory meanings: hatred or friendship; struggle or achievement; weakness or power.

Yet, most students agreed that on the whole the issue is a complex and delicate one.

“People are going to rip down things they don’t understand,” David Young, junior in ACES, said, referring to the damaged poster.

Although the words can be heard throughout today’s music and movie scenes, certain students disagree with its use.

Akua Agyeman, sophomore in Communications, chooses not to use the terms. She finds the words too reminiscent of the long struggle blacks endured during their enslavement in America.

“I choose not to identify myself that way,” Agyeman said. “It’s not advancing us as a people.”

In the end, for a touchy topic that can easily upset, the mood was composed and engaging. Johnson and students agreed that the issue is an important one but future dialogues must be broader.