News Briefs

By Danielle Gaines

Essay contest founded in memory of University alumna looking for entries

The Iris Chang Memorial Essay Contest is accepting essays for their annual contest. This year’s topic is “How has Iris Chang’s book, ‘The Rape of Nanking,’ affected My Life and Thinking?”

Chang graduated from the University with a degree in journalism and wrote for The Associate Press and The Chicago Tribune. She also published several books on Chinese history and was on the New York Times Bestseller list.

Chang died Nov. 9, 2004 leaving behind an unfinished dream to make an epic movie of “The Rape of Nanking” and create an oral history project of recording victims and survivors of Sino-Japanese war.

Essays should be no more than 2,500 words. For more information, visit the memorial Web site at www.global-alliance.net

Donations needed to send young thespians to Scotland performance

The Central High School drama program is in its final stages of fundraising to fund a performance in Scotland in August.

The group recently became only the fifth school group from Illinois ever to be selected to perform at the Fringe Theatre Festival in Edinborough. The group has raised more than $130,000 for the trip, but needs an additional $2,800 to send all group members.

Noodles & Co., 528 E. Green St., will donate 15 percent of their profits on Wednesday to help the club. Anyone interested in assisting with the fundraising effort in another way can contact director LaDonna Wilson at (217) 351-3911.

Compiled by Danielle Gaines