July Fourth in Champaign-Urbana

The Associated Press

By Danielle Gaines

Each year on July 4, millions of Americans unite to celebrate liberty and freedom. In the Champaign-Urbana area, there are several celebrations that students can take in and all of them have their own unique twist.

For those who may not be able to attend an event on the Fourth, fireworks can be seen after a short drive to Monticello on the eve of our country’s anniversary. For an extra laid back evening, patriots can enjoy the railway event.

On the Fourth, there are several events in the area. The Freedom Fest held in Mahomet is a great event held near the water at the Lake of the Woods Forest Preserve.

The events of the Champaign County Freedom Celebration will be held throughout the day in the heart of campus.

Below are the full details and start times of each event.

• July 3 events

• Monticello Fireworks Show

Location: Lodge Park, Monticello, Ill.

Time: 9 p.m. (dusk)

Event goers can take a shuttle from Monticello High School to the park or park at Rick Ridings Ford Mercury car dealership parking lot for a $5.00 fee.

• Monticello Railway Museum Fireworks Train

Location: Wabash Depot at Livingston and Independence streets, Monticello, Ill.

Time: Train departs at 8 p.m. and returns at 10:30 p.m.

The evening train will travel to the Monticello fireworks show. Riders can bring coolers and lawn chairs for the viewing portion of the night. Tickets are $8 for adults and $6 for seniors and children.

• July 4 events

• Freedom Fest 2006

Music in Motion concert: 5 p.m.

Fireworks show: 9 p.m. (dusk)

All events will be held at the Lake of the Woods Forest Preserve, 109 S. Lake of the Woods Rd., Mahomet, Ill. Admission to the event is $1. Concession stands will open at 4 p.m.

• Champaign County Freedom Celebration

Youth Run: Registration will begin at 9:30. The race will start at 10:30 a.m. and the children will race around Assembly Hall.

5K Race and Walk: Registration will begin at 9:30. Runners will depart from Assembly Hall at 11:05 a.m.

Parade: The Freedom Celebration parade will take place from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. The route begins at the intersection of Lincoln and Nevada avenues, continues west on Florida Street and ends at Assembly Hall.

Tons of Fun concert: The family-friendly band will take the stage at 7 p.m. at the intersection of First and Peabody streets.

Fireworks show: The sky will light up at approximately 9 p.m. (dusk). Spectators can take in the sights at First Street and Stadium Drive.

Patriotic Places

Around town

Independence Avenue, Urbana

Liberty Avenue, Urbana

Liberty Drive, Urbana

Across the country

Freedom: There are 15 U.S. cities with freedom in their titles, the largest being Freedom, Calif.

Independence: There are 17 American cities and one county with Independence in their names. The largest is Independence, Mo.

Liberty: There are 48 American cities and 4 counties with Liberty in their names including Liberty Village, Ill. Pennsylvania is home to 11 of those cities.

Patriot: Only one U.S. city contains the word Patriot. Patriot Town, Ind. is home to 202 residents.

Compiled by Danielle Gaines