Go read a book at the library

By Frank Radosevich II

The library system on campus is an invaluable resource for students no matter what the subject. From electromagnetic engineering to Peruvian art, students can easily find necessary resources to help them in their studies.

The University’s collection of items is divided up among 40 departmental libraries, area studies centers and special collections throughout campus.

Most of these libraries are housed within the spacious Main Library building, 1408 W. Gregory Dr., Urbana, while the rest are spread across campus in other various buildings.

According to the University’s Web site, the library “holds more than 9 million volumes, more than 90,000 serial titles and more than 6 million manuscripts, maps, slides, audio tapes, microforms, videotapes, laser discs and other non-print material.” In other words, if a student can’t find what they are looking, it probably doesn’t exist.

Students can browse materials by using the University’s online catalog at www.library.uiuc.edu/catalog/. Working similarly to an internet search engine, patrons can search for items using assorted criteria such as title, author, or subject heading. The catalog lists current resources’ full title, author’s name, call number, availability status and location.

Partons can request items from the library in several different ways. They can go directly to a library, grab a book off the shelf and check it out using their I-Card at the circulation desk. If the student doesn’t have their I-Card, a photo identification card will do.

Certain items can also be requested online and picked up at the patron’s library of choice.

Undergraduates can check out materials for four week periods with graduate students for 16 week periods. Both can renew their holdings either in person, over the phone or through their online account.

Also, if the University library cannot provide or offer a desired document, students can log on to I-Share, a Web-based network that links the University with more than 40 academic libraries in Illinois. The I-Share network allows patrons to directly search catalogs and request books from other Illinois colleges and universities.

To help you when you need it, the librarians at the University have gone high tech. You can now IM them and find that resource you need in real time by visiting www.library.uiuc.edu/askus/