UI’s affordabilty leaves students strapped for cash

By Kristin Maiorano

Illinois has received a failing grade…in education affordability. The National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education recently released their independent study, giving Illinois an ‘F’ in affordability, but awarding ‘A’s and ‘B’s in all other categories. The affordability grade is based on how much of a family’s income it costs to go to college. U of I Senior Associate Director of Financial Aid Robert Anderson says although funding for education has increased, it isn’t enough.

“We’ve had a very nice increase each year, except that the need for financial aid has gone up more than that contribution. I think we are on the right track.”

But Illinois isn’t alone. 42 other states also received failing affordability grades. Anderson says that compared to others, Illinois is actually advantaged.

“We have a monetary award program grant from the state. Many states do not, or a very small program. Yes, it has deteriorated. Even though that has happened, we have still put in more funding that many, many other states.”

The report also found Illinois is among the top states in terms of enrolling college-age students in higher education.