Irish Illini regains official RSO status

By Natalie Carino

The Irish Illini, one of the largest Registered Student Organizations on campus, has been reinstated this week. The University had suspended the Irish Illini for promoting alcohol specials through their listserv in the spring.

The e-mail in question was sent out before Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day last spring, listing the bars the group would meet at, along with the discounts they would receive on drinks for wearing the Unofficial Irish Illini shirt.

“In accordance with student code, there is a policy that specifically states that Registered Student Organizations cannot state the availability of alcohol,” said Brooks Moore, assistant director of Registered Student Organizations.

Many believed that the Irish Illini was being targeted because of Unofficial, but Moore said that Unofficial had nothing to do with the suspension. He said one of the reasons the situation was taken so seriously was because of the size of the group and the impact it could have.

“Organizations can have social functions, but it can’t say we’re having social events at X, Y and Z with these drink specials,” Moore said.

To get reinstated, the Irish Illini had to meet with Moore and discuss policies and procedures and had to re-register for RSO status.

The group was supposed to be reinstated at the beginning of this academic year, but it took until this week for the Irish Illini to be recognized as an RSO.

“We were supposed to be reinstated before Quad Day,” said Patrick Boyle, senior in LAS and president of the group. “But the University was not very efficient.”

Since the incident, Boyle said that some changes have been made in the way events are publicized, especially how the group advertises alcohol. But, Boyle said for the most part, the group will still remain the same.

“We will still have bar crawls, bar scrambles and a party here and there,” he said.

Boyle said he wants people to know that the group is not just about alcohol.

“We do a lot of charitable events that people don’t know about,” he said.

Boyle said he is excited to have RSO status once again, and the Irish Illini will host their first official happy hour of the year at Joe’s Brewery, 706 S. Fifth St., this Friday.

“It will be interesting as to the language they use,” Moore said after hearing about the group’s plans for Friday.

He added that the group will not face problems if they follow the University’s rules.

“They met the conditions of the sanction, and if they are capable of being a healthy organization then we will support them,” he said.