ON-AIR: New high can cause big issues for teens

By Kristin Maiorano

It’s a new trend in adolescent inhalants…and it’s called dusting. Some young people, usually in their early teens, abuse the computer cleaning product Dust Off by spraying it through its straw into their mouths and inhaling. Dusting causes a temporary high when the freon from the can pushes oxygen out of the lungs.

Champaign Deputy Chief of Police Troy Daniels says it’s important for consumers to know the dangers of Dust Off.

“There are parents, I’m sure, who have purchased Dust-Off and are not aware of what the dangers could be, and that would help them monitor how much they’re purchasing, whether it’s being abused or not.”

Daniels says that many people underestimate the danger of inhaling consumer products.

“There are a lot of people that look at huffing as kind of harmless fun. However, if you get the right combination, the right level of a substance like this, you can seriously hurt yourself or die.”

Dust Off’s manufacturer knows about the abuse of its product and has posted warnings on its labels and on its web site.