UI police say stolen RSO funds will be difficult to recover

By Patrick Wade

Colleges Against Cancer reported approximately $1,000 missing from a locked drawer in their cubical in the Illini Union Registered Student Organizations office on Oct. 23.

The money was raised the Friday before it was reported missing as a part of the group’s “Think Pink” fundraiser. The money raised earlier that week had already been deposited into the bank said Dana Murray, vice president of the organization and junior in LAS.

Sgt. Tony Brown of the University police department said that as of Monday, the identity of the burglar was unknown.

Jeff Christensen, assistant chief of police for the University, said that although the department is currently investigating the case, there is little information as to who could have taken the money.

“The Illini Union is such an open, public building that it wasn’t necessarily someone assigned to the area,” he said.

Colleges Against Cancer shares its office with about thirty other RSOs and no one is prohibited from entering the office.

Although the money was placed in a locked drawer, Murray said that the drawer could have been easily unlocked with a bobby pin.

“We’re definitely going to implement some new security,” she said.

The group plans to have all the locks replaced within its Illini Union cubical.

Murray said that the money is a considerable portion of the group’s general fund and would have been used to help certain educational outreach programs such as the Great American Smokeout and Relay for Life.

Six of the group’s administrators were out of town the weekend the money was stolen, and it was not discovered missing until they returned that Monday.

Because both the group and the police have so little information about the burglary, Murray said that the outlook is not good.

“I don’t think we’re going to recover the money,” she said.

Kolbe Kasper, Block I president for Illini Pride, which shares its office with Colleges Against Cancer, said that they take precautions when guarding the valuable possessions of Illini Pride and only a limited number of people have access to their assets. However, he realizes it is not very difficult to steal from the office.

“There’s really nothing stopping them from doing it,” Kasper said. “All they really need are guts.”