ON-AIR: Solutions for students staying in Champaign over break

By Christine Kim

Winter break begins in less than two weeks, and whether students return home or spend break in Champaign, there are a couple of points they should know.

University residence halls will close at 3 P.M. on December 17 and will reopen January 14 at 9 A.M. If students choose to remain on campus, they must submit a break housing contract. They can purchase a full break package or a partial break package, and can also request to stay overnight on Sunday December 17. Assistant Director of housing for marketing Kirsten Ruby says students who don’t live in ISR will have to stay there in converted lounge spaces.

“A student lounge, it’s not like a lobby area. It’s a regular student room that for most of the year has some couches in it and some lounge furniture, but it has the same closets and locking door as any student room. It’s not an open space, it’s just like any other room.”

Residents may also request to stay in a friend’s room if both parties sign a Break Housing Agreement form. Ruby says the space available is limited, and is assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis.

“It really depends on the year, some years it will be full even before break comes and some years we do have some vacancies.”

Deadline to submit the winter break housing contract is Friday, December 8 at noon. You can obtain forms at Clark Hall.