Poor shooting humbles Illini

Brad Vest The Daily Illini Illinois Brian Randle attempts a shot over Ohio States Greg Oden during the second half of Saturdays game, January 6, 2007. Randle finished the game with 5 points and 5 rebounds, but the Illini lost 44-62.

Brad Vest The Daily Illini Illinois’ Brian Randle attempts a shot over Ohio State’s Greg Oden during the second half of Saturday’s game, January 6, 2007. Randle finished the game with 5 points and 5 rebounds, but the Illini lost 44-62.

By Erin Foley

This time, place no blame on lack of passion or emotion. Instead, fault the shots that refused to fall as Illinois made just 14-of-58 baskets in its 62-44 loss to No.6 Ohio State on Saturday afternoon at Assembly Hall. The defeat marked the third loss in as many tries for the Illini, who sit 0-2 in the Big Ten standings for the first time since 1998-99.

Following the Illini’s worst home showing in 31 years, coach Bruce Weber was at a loss for words, and Warren Carter had trouble admitting that Illinois (12-5) failed its toughest stretch of the season (losses at Xavier, at Michigan and against Ohio State (13-2, 0-2). But it was guard Chester Frazier’s comment that summed up the mood.

“It’s embarrassing; I’m hurt right now,” said Frazier, who added five points, eight rebounds and three assists.

The Illini’s defensive pressure held through the game, but after being deadlocked at 11 with 10:04 to play in the first half, the Buckeye’s outscored the Illini 14-4 in the final 5:25 of the half. Ohio State took a 36-22 lead into the break.

“A lot of shots went in and out in the first half; those drop and we could go on a run” Carter said. “That little spurt they had in the first half, that was the ball game right there when they made that run.”

Carter (11 points, eight rebounds) led the Illini in scoring, while Shaun Pruitt (six points, five rebounds) and Brian Randle (five points, five rebounds) also contributed. But, once again, it was the lack of consistent scoring that troubled Weber.

“You’ve seen Brian Randle play, he’s better than that. You’ve seen Rich (McBride) make shots, he’s better than that,” Weber said. “Jamar (Smith, who went 1-for-9 from the field) came in the gym like three extra times in the last two days, and he can’t make a shot. Not much you can say.”

A quartet of Buckeyes’ scored in double figures, including Daequan Cook (13 points), Jamar Butler (12), Ron Lewis and Othello Hunter (10 a piece). The Illini limited freshman phenom Greg Oden, who stands seven feet tall, to seven points. He also added 15 rebounds and four blocks. Wrist surgery has forced Oden, a natural right-hander, to learn to maneuver with his left hand, and Ohio State head coach Thad Matta admitted Oden’s left wrist is only 50 percent.

But as tough a challenge as Oden presented, Weber was pleased with how the Illini, and specifically Pruitt, contained him.

“I don’t think Oden just dominated our big guys,” Weber said. “Our whole thing was to send three guys at him and keep rotating and see if we could wear him down a little bit.”

With Illinois only scoring 44 points in Saturday’s loss, a figure even Matta was surprised by, Carter focused on Illinois’ inability convert on the big plays. The Buckeyes were able to do just that, whether it was Cook hitting back-to-back three-pointers to increase the lead to 53-31 or the lay-ups used to spur their first half run.

As Illinois prepares to host Iowa on Wednesday, it is Weber’s goal to be there for his struggling team, but also impose coachability, improvement and confidence. And for the Illini, who are in unknown territory, the hope is that the doubt will subside.

“This better be rock-bottom for us,” Carter said, “because I don’t want to ever feel this way again.”

—————-

1. Media Credit: Amelia Moore The Daily Illini

Brian Carwell, of Illinois, is blocked by Ohio State’s Greg Oden while shooting during the first half of Saturday’s men’s basketball game at the Assembly Hall. Illinois lost to Ohio State, 44 to 62.

2. Media Credit: Amelia Moore The Daily Illini

Members of the Orange Krush ‘boo’ referees during the second half of Saturday’s Ohio State game at the Assembly Hall. Illinois lost to Ohio, 62-44.

3. Media Credit: Amelia Moore The Daily Illini

Chief Illiniwek performs during halftime in Assembly Hall, Saturday. Assembly Hall had an attendance of 16,618 fans for the Illinois vs. Ohio State game. Illinois lost, 44-62.

4. Media Credit: Amelia Moore The Daily Illini

Greg Oden of Ohio State jumps for a dunk over Illinois’ Warren Carter during Illinois’ game against Ohio State on Saturday at Assembly Hall. Illinois lost to Ohio State, 63-44.

5. Media Credit: Brad Vest The Daily Illini

Illinois’ head coach, Bruce Weber, is told to stop arguing by a referee during the second half of Saturday’s game versus Ohio State, January 6, 2007. Illinois lost the game 44-62.

6. Media Credit: Brad Vest The Daily Illini

Illinois’ Brian Randle attempts a shot over Ohio State’s Greg Oden during the second half of Saturday’s game, January 6, 2007. Randle finished the game with 5 points and 5 rebounds, but the Illini lost 44-62.

7. Media Credit: Brad Vest The Daily Illini

Illinois’ Shaun Pruitt is called for a charge during the second half of Saturday’s game versus Ohio State, January 6, 2007. Pruitt finished the game with 6 points and 5 rebounds, but the Illini lost 44-62.

8. Media Credit: Brad Vest The Daily Illini

Illinois’ Warren Carter is blocked by Ohio State’s Greg Oden during the second half of Saturday’s game, January 6, 2007. Illinois held Oden to just 7 points, but he brought down 15 rebounds and 4 blocks, Ohio State won the game 62-44.

9. Media Credit: Brad Vest The Daily Illini

Illinois’ Calvin Brock goes up for a score during the second half of Saturday’s game versus Ohio State, January 6, 2007. Illinois could stick with Ohio State, they lost 44-62.