Broken water main affects five Campustown addresses

By Kathleen Foody

An Illinois American Water Company water main broke Tuesday afternoon, affecting four Champaign addresses, according to a company operator.

Water to 510, 511, 512, 513 and 514 East John Street was shut off until 4 p.m. after the main broke around noon.

The affected addresses are still advised to boil their water until 3:45 a.m. on Jan. 18, which is 36 hours following the break.

Bar Louie, 510 E. John St., and Appearances salon, 512 E. John St. were both affected when the water to their establishments was shut off.

Linh Hopkins, manager of Appearances, said she and her staff were lucky they did not have any color services scheduled for Tuesday or they would have had to turn away clients.

“Clients looking forward to a shampoo (before their cut) were disappointed,” she said. “But once we explained, they were all very understanding.”

Jenny Delaney, manager of Bar Louie, said the restaurant shut down for a few hours, but was open for dinner Tuesday night.

“We’ve taken all the necessary precautions to ensure our customers’ safety,” she said. “So it’s back to business as usual.”