Carbon monoxide detector drive

By Karis Morrall

It’s a colorless, odorless and tasteless poison. And, without a detector, there’s no way of knowing if carbon monoxide is present. Illinois State Representative Naomi Jakobsson and Champaign and Urbana fire departments are holding a carbon monoxide detector drive.

Champaign Fire Department Public Information Officer Dena Schumacher says the detectors will go to low-income families in the county.

“We wanted to be able to find some ways if there are people who aren’t able to get that done on their own. We wanted to find a few ways to help them do it. It is kind of a unique thought process, I have to say. Representative Jakobsson came up with that.”

Carbon monoxide detector donations can be dropped off at participating Walmart, Home Depot, Menards, Lowes and Meijer stores. Schumacher says the stores themselves have contributed to the cause.

“I’ll tell you what, the generosity of our stores has been awesome. The stores have donated as much as 35 hundred dollars to allow us to purchase them.”

The deadline for donations is February 12. Schumacher says she’s grateful for the public’s contribution.

“Thank you for providing for people in need. And we’ll do our best to get the alarms to where they need to be.”

A law requiring carbon monoxide detectors in all Illinois residential units went into effect at the start of the year.