HPV vaccines for sixth graders

By Howell

Illinois State Representative Naomi Jakobsson has introduced a new bill which would hope to inoculate young girls against cervical cancer. If passed, girls entering the sixth grade would have the option to take a Human Papillomavirus or H.P.V. vaccine.

Jakobsson sees the bill as a potential life saver.

“When we have a vaccine that is close to 100 percent effective to prevent any kind of cancer we should move in the direction of making sure that anybody who can benefit from it, get it.”

The vaccine also prevents certain strains of sexually transmitted diseases. However, some people are opposed to girls receiving the vaccination like The Illinois Family Institute.

Their executive director, David Smith, says the decision isn’t up to the state.

“This is a decision that should be left up to parents, their children, and their doctors. Parents and doctors, not the state. The state has no business in this field especially since it’s not a communicable disease in schools.”

The shots cost 300 dollars a piece and pose a potential hit to taxpayers. Texas is currently the only state that requires girls to take the vaccine prior to entering the 6th grade. The Illinois bill has currently been assigned to the Human Service Committee.