University cancels all classes due to weather conditions

By Staff Report

All classes at the University have been canceled due to inclement weather conditions. Those University employees deemed essential must still report to work, according to a mass mail from the Chancellor’s Office.

According to Robin Kaler, University spokesperson, the University cancelled classes because of safety issues.

“We cannot keep up with clearing the sidewalks,” Kaler said. “It became very dangerous for students to walk because they would have to start walking in the street.”

This is the first time the University has cancelled classes for inclement weather since 1979.

With several inches of snow already blanketing Campustown, campus bus routes are still running and drivers are doing the best they can to stay on time, according to the Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District.

The company has confirmed that service is limited in some areas at the edge of their district, and those limitations are not likely to affect students.

Supervisors are still out checking the rest of street conditions at this point.

Real-time operating information is available using MTD’s “Stopwatch System” at www.cumtd.com. The system allows passengers to know exactly when their bus will arrive.

Total snow accumulation for the duration of the storm is expected to be 10-15 inches, according to the National Weather Service. A blizzard warning remains in effect until midnight tonight.

The National Weather Service is advising people not to travel. If it is neccesary to travel, have a winter survival kit in your car. If stranded, stay with your vehicle.

The Daily Illini will continue to post any route changes or cancellations.