Students appeal deadline for Chief referendum

By Matt Spartz

The Board of Trustees decision to retire Chief Illiniwek was announced early last Friday – the same day all referendum requests had to be presented to the Student Elections Committee. But the Feb. 16 deadline had nothing to do with the Chief, and everything to do with student elections.

The registered student organization, Students for Chief Illiniwek, want a referendum on the March student election ballot reversing the board’s decision. Their request was denied on Saturday by the election committee. Now, the RSO is fighting an appeal for an extension on this referendum deadline.

“Now we have the option of appealing to the University’s moot court,” said Paul Schmitt, sophomore in LAS and vice president for external affairs of Students for Chief Illiniwek.

The Moot Court is a group of law students that hear the appeals of any disputed action regarding the ISS. They could decide whether or not to grant an extension for this referendum.

With the official massmail from Chancellor Richard Herman announcing the decision on the Chief’s retirement sent around 10 a.m., and the deadline for referendum proposals being 5 p.m., there was not enough time last Friday to get the necessary paperwork and required 3,000 signatures for a referendum, Schmitt said.

Although it seems the referendum deadline coincided with the announcement of the Chief’s retirement, Feb. 16 was picked well in advance. Election packets were available Feb. 5, which also made notice to the Feb. 16 referendum deadline.

“Had a referendum been approved at 5 p.m., we would have been spending this week verifying signatures,” said Scott Bieniek, law student and vice chairperson of the Student Election Committee.

“Unfortunately, the Board of Trustees did make a decision (on the Chief) on the day of the referendum date,” he said.

According to election guidelines, ISS elections must be held during the eighth week of spring semester, or March 6, Bieniek said. Logistically, the committee needs time before the election to research the validity of any referendums being put on the ballot, along with receiving packets and verify the required 3,000 signatures on each one.

Bieniek said approval of late referendums could set a bad precedent.

“If (the student election committee) allows (Students for Chief Illiniwek) to submit their packet late, we have to allow every other candidate to turn in their packets late,” Bieniek said. “We have to make an impartial deadline … to make sure the elections are held on the right date.”

However, exceptions can be made. The election committee is deliberating whether or not the Chief retirement and referendum deadline coincidence should be considered, Bieniek said.

Schmitt believes this is an exception because there was no way to anticipate the board’s decision.

“I think the most important facet of this is how, within seven hours, is it humanly possible to gather your senses enough to put (a referendum) together?” he said.

Students for Chief Illiniwek are already gathering signatures and completing the necessary paperwork in preparation for a final decision.