Champaign-Area Residents Flocking to Get Chief Apparel

By Leigh Krahenbuhl

The cash registers at T.I.S. Bookstore are getting lots of use from customers stocking up on merchandise that depicts the image of Chief Illiniwek. T.I.S. store manager Jon Tichenor says they weren’t exactly ready for the rush they’ve experienced the past few days.

“I think we all knew it was coming, but we didn’t expect it, I guess, so abruptly and quickly, the chief will be gone in five days.”

Tichenor says they’re running low on chief merchandise, and some of their chief items are sold out. He says the’ve also printed out Internet orders that stack up to about a foot high. Tichenor says they’re ordering as much as they can to refill their shelves.

“We are stocking up on it, but there will be a point where we’re only going to be able to get some much, and then it’s going away.”

One block away at Te Shurt, store manager John Lee says they’re trying to come up with some new chief merchandise while they still have the chance.

“There’s a couple different ideas that we’re kind of tossing around. We’ve got one with the chief head with something dealing with the past, the present and forever.”

Both store managers say they expect to hear something from the University in the next couple of weeks that will put an end to selling merchandise that includes the Chief Illiniwek logo.