Champaign Police Department returns abducted middle school student

By ME Online

A 15-year-old male student was recovered by Champaign Police this morning after he was abducted from the grounds of Edison Middle School, 306 W. Green St.

The abduction took place around 7 a.m., according to a press release issued by the city of Champaign.

Officers located the vehicle around 7:30 a.m. based on information obtained from witnesses, who also said the student was forced into the vehicle.

Officers conducted a traffic stop and found the victim and two male suspects in the car.

According to the release, the suspects are relatives of another Edison student and were attempting to resolve a matter with the victim.

But the preliminary investigations have not given police any reason to believe other Edison students were involved in today’s incident.

The two suspects were arrested and taken to the Champaign Police Department for questioning.

The victim was not seriously injured during the incident and did not require medical attention, according to the release.

Police believe the matter the suspects wanted to discuss with the victim was isolated and took place away from the middle school.

Police credited the school administration’s quick response as an important aid in returning the victim safely.