UI seniors honored at agency exposition

By Andrea Cheng

Each year, the American Advertising Federation honors 50 college students across the nation in the Most Promising Minority Students program. Thomas Chan, Rebecca Han, Jeremy Monton and Nayeli Valentinez, all seniors in Communications, were recipients of the award this year and were invited to attend an event in New York from Feb. 6-8.

University students who are majoring in advertising often choose to become a member of the federation. According to the College of Communications Web site, the federation strives to bring together students and professionals to create a nationwide advertising network.

The main event in New York was a recruiters exposition where finalists were given the opportunity to network with advertising agencies. Han said the finalists interviewed with multiple agencies hosted by MTV/ESPN, Verizon Communications and Y&R; Brands.

“It was an amazing experience on both a professional level and personal level,” Han said in an e-mail.

Monton joined the federation last year and has been dedicated to it ever since.

“Everything I’ve done is to get this award,” Monton said.

Every year, members of the federation can submit their resumes to Steven Hall, the University’s American Advertising Federation chapter adviser. Hall selects the candidates with the most potential to win the award.

“It’s so wonderful to be nominated,” Valentinez said. “I felt extremely grateful to be considered for this program.”

A candidate must fulfill certain requirements to be considered, including membership of the federation, a GPA of at least a 3.25 within a selected major and leadership experience, Valentinez said.

Valentinez said she is currently debating over which internships or jobs to choose from, but being an honoree has definitely helped in her job search.

“It was a great opportunity for all minorities interested in advertising,” Valentinez said. “By having this program, it opens the door to all the minorities present in this industry.”

However, Chan felt differently. He said he was disappointed with the program because no one mentored him on how to present himself in interviews.

“At the same time, I’m disappointed that the Most Promising Minority Students (program) was not anything more than an affirmative action program,” Chan said.

Chan said he has more or less given up on advertising and is now pursuing further academic studies or more aggressive job opportunities upon graduation.

Valentinez is still optimistic about the beneficial impact this program will have on her future.

“It feels like a dream come true,” Valentinez said. “I’m loving it.”