Women’s golf finishes third at Indiana Invitational

By David Just

The Illinois women’s golf team shot a 609 to finish in third place at the Indiana Invitational in Carmel, Ind., which wrapped up Tuesday.

Junior Seul Ki Park shot back-to-back rounds of even-par 72 to take first place. Park is the first individual medalist since Kristine Cook won the Illini Spring Classic in 2005.

“Seul Ki played two absolutely rock-solid rounds of golf on the most challenging course we’ve played all year,” head coach Renee Slone said in a press release. “She played smart, and if she made a mistake, she was able to get herself out of it. Experiences from earlier this season played a huge role in her success in this tournament.”

The Illini shot a 304 on Monday which put them in second place after the first day. They followed it up with a 305 on Tuesday to finish three strokes behind Michigan State and six strokes behind Michigan, who won the event.

The tournament was shortened to 36 holes due to the cold temperatures. It was the same cold weather that forced the cancellation of the Illini Spring Classic last weekend.

“This was a big confidence booster for the girls heading into the tournament in Columbus,” Slone said in the release.

The Illini will compete next in the Lady Buckeye Invite hosted by Ohio State University on April 21.