Mail the force be with you

(Left) Wayne Neumaier, senior in Engineering, and Chris Smith, junior in Economics duel for the freedom of the galaxy above a painted United States Postal Service mailbox painted as the Star Wars character R2-D2 on Tuesday in this portrait illustration. & Beck Diefenbach

By Ebonique Wool

On March 16, 400 R2-D2 mailboxes were dispatched by the U.S. Postal Service across the country as a promotional stunt. In honor of Star Wars’ 30th anniversary, Lucas Films has collaborated with the U.S. Postal Service to create 15 commemorative stamps of different characters and scenes from the movies. For only the second time in history, the U.S. Postal Service is allowing fans to vote and decide on which stamp they will issue on May 25.

Some students at the University are excited about the new R2-D2 mail box and new stamps, but worries of mail box theft have developed as well

“My first reaction was that it was really cool,” said Wayne Neumaier, senior in Engineering, “but my first thought was that people would be stealing these things. They are real mailboxes though, and it would be a federal offence.”

No theft attempts seem to have been made at the University, however.

“I don’t think there have been any signs of that,” said an Altgeld post office employee.

During the promotional period for the stamps, many fans have been voting online for their favorite stamp.

“My favorite character is Princess Leia,” said Emily Echevarria, sophomore in Engineering. “Her stamp shows her putting a message into R2-D2. I would want one of her.”

As a collector of Star Wars paraphernalia, Echevarria plans to add the new stamp to her collection.

People do not always vote for their favorite characters, however, as in the case of Neumaier. His favorite character is Anakin Skywalker in Saga three, but he voted for Boba Fett as a stamp.

“He’s pretty cool with the weapons he has,” Neumaier said. “Never mess with the Fett, man!”

Also a Star Wars collector, Neumaier plans to acquire the upcoming 30th anniversary stamp.

“I collect everything and my room is filled with Star Wars paraphernalia,” Neumaier said. “If I can find a legal way to get my hands on one of those mail boxes I would do that too.”

He, along with other students on campus, have settled for taking pictures with the mailbox for now.