Muslim Student Association hosts annual Spring Camp

By K. Lamorris Waller

“I can’t think of a better way to see the Muslim community at its highest level,” said Hela Kotob, junior in LAS and Outreach Head for the yearly Muslim Student Association’s Spring Camp.

This year’s theme title is “Enriching Mind, Body, & Soul; An Endless Pursuit” and will feature lectures by seven renowned speakers throughout all three days of April 13-15. There will also be a basketball tournament at CRCE.

The event is geared towards all students, Muslim students especially, to gain a better understanding for the Muslim tradition. The goal is to have at least 250 to 300 students in attendance, Kotob said.

Ali Malik, junior in LAS and vice president of the Muslim Student Association, said the organization tries to reach out to people in Illinois and Big Ten schools, allowing everyone involved to appreciate diversity while learning about Muslim culture, he said.

“This event has a lot of influence on students of all races and, whether you’re Muslim or not, you are sure to meet great role models,” said Alia Bilal, sophomore in LAS and co-head of Spring Camp. “It’s been around for a decade and still going strong.”

The speakers on each day of the weekend will have different topics in their lectures. On Friday, Imam Siraj Wahaj, professor of Islamic Studies at Howard University, will be giving a lecture titled “Balancing the Heart and Mind” at the Central Illinois Mosque and Islamic Center, 106 S. Lincoln Ave. The Saturday lectures will begin at 6 p.m. in room 151 of Loomis Labratory. The Sunday session will begin at 12 p.m. in room 228 of the Natural History Building and will feature James Yi, former Army Chaplin, in a lecture entitled “Tortured Mind, Body, and Soul: Surviving Guantanamo.”

All the events are free and open to all University students and faculty. For more information about the weekend events visit www.uiucspringcamp.org.

“The goal is for all in attendance to gain a spiritual and inspirational experience,” Kotob said.