Student senate reacts to massacre

By Michael Logli

The Illinois Student Senate unanimously passed a resolution Wednesday night that showed support for the students and faculty killed in the Virginia Tech shooting. The resolution states that the student government will do all within their power to help comfort and support the victims and their families.

This resolution reflects the concerns of the senators and the executive board as a whole, said Justin Randall, president of the student senate.

“I grew up in Virginia, and actually, a friend of mine skipped his class that day and only 25 percent of his class survived,” Randall said. “I have a lot of friends out there.”

Though there are no ideas for fund-raising events at this time, Virginia Tech is encouraging other college students to wear its school colors, orange and maroon, this Friday, Randall said. The board will send an e-mail to all senators encouraging them to participate and to let others know of this opportunity to show support.

“I thought it was just something we could do as a student government and to extend our sympathies as effectively as possible,” Randall said.

Elections for the Student Executive Council also took place. These representatives will work with the Urbana-Champaign Senate as the student representatives for the University. The elected individuals were graduate student Grant Ullrich and sophomore in Business Rob Main. Randall automatically serves as a representative because of his position as president of the student senate.