Treasurer brings organization, dedication to position

Lhea Randle, sophomore in LAS and treasurer of the Illinois Student Senate, poses in her office in the Union on Thursday. Beck Diefenbach

By Michael Logli

Lhea Randle, sophomore in LAS, laughs as she goes through the binders she assigned to each of her extra-curricular activities. Every binder is organized and color-coded. Of course, Randle has a binder that pertains to the Illinois Student Senate and its financial aspects, an essential tool for the senate’s treasurer.

“The greatest quality of being a treasurer is being organized,” Randle said.

Randle is treasurer for both the student senate and the Volunteer Illini Projects, a group that volunteers for various projects on campus. Though she has not held her position on the senate for long, Randle said she enjoys it.

“Numbers were always my thing anyway,” Randle said.

The student senate treasurer’s main responsibility is to continually keep senators updated on the status of the budget: how much is spent, how much is left and what appropriations, or requests for spending, are being considered. In order to do this, Randle attends every senate meeting and also regularly updates the treasurer page on the senate Web site. Randle said some of the most important things about being a treasurer are accountability and dedication to the position.

“Something that the position needs is someone with dedication to the position because it hasn’t had that in the past,” Randle said.

Randle also works at the Institute of Government and Public Affairs building, 1007 W. Nevada St. Randle said that she gets involved with many local and statewide government affairs there. She said her experiences there and with Volunteer Illini Projects have allowed her to bring a different perspective to meetings.

“I bring a different voice, and with such a diverse board, I am only one of the different voices,” Randle said.

Although she enjoys being treasurer, Randle said she has larger plans for her role in the student senate.

“I am going to run for something else next year,” Randle said. “I just don’t know what yet.”