Suspect remains in critical condition following shooting in West Side Park

A Champaign, Ill., police officer marks the site of spent shell casings, Thursday night, June 7, 2007, in Champaign, while investigating the area where three Champaign police officers were injured in a shooting at the city park, according to the Champaign The Associated Press

AP

By Steve Contorno

Thirty-six-year-old Shannon Bridges, a Champaign police officer, remains hospitalized following a shooting on the north side of West Side Park on Thursday night.

Bridges was injured when she and two other officers responded to a report of a man with a gun. The officers approached the suspect, who began firing a weapon at the officers. Officers subsequently returned gunfire

All three officers were injured, Champaign Police spokeswoman Rene Dunn confirmed, but only Bridges remains in hospital care. Dunn said her injuries do not appear to be life threatening.

The other two officers injured by the gunfire were Deputy Chief John Murphy and officer Jack Armstrong. Both have been treated in released.

Officers were responding to the call at 7:42 p.m., but Dunn could not say who made the call to report that officers were down.

Donnell Clemons, the alleged shooter, was also injured during the gunfight, and remains hospitalized in critical condition. Clemons has been arrested for attempted murder and aggravated discharge of a firearm.

Check back with DailyIllini.com for updates.