Memorial stadium worker falls during construction

By Steve Contorno

A general contractor working on the Memorial Stadium renovation project fell on Friday and was taken to the hospital.

At approximately 2:15, the contractor, whose name is unknown at this time, fell while working on an elevator shaft on the west side of the stadium, one of two being added to that side.

Lieutenant Skip Frost of the University campus police said the contractor, an employee of Williams Brothers Construction, fell roughly 20-25 feet off of scaffolding.

The worker sustained a head injury, Frost said, and was initially unconscious following the fall. However, he was awake by the time emergency units took him away. Pro Ambulance brought the worker to Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana, where his condition remains unknown.

Frost said the investigation as to what caused the fall is still under speculation.

“We don’t believe it was wind related since he was working inside,” Frost said. “We don’t believe there were any outside conditions that caused the fall, but we are still investigating.”

Police interviewed several workers who witnessed the incident. Frost said when units left, construction had continued on the stadium.

The name of the worker won’t be released until the construction company has informed the workers family, Frost said.

Attempts to reach Williams Brothers Construction were unsuccessful.