Worker falls from elevator at Memorial Stadium

By Steve Contorno

A general contractor working on the Memorial Stadium renovation project fell Friday and was taken to the hospital.

At approximately 2:15 p.m., the contractor fell while working on an elevator shaft on the west side of the stadium.

Lt. Skip Frost of the University Police said the contractor, an employee of Williams Brothers Construction, fell roughly 20-25 feet off of scaffolding. As of Friday, Frost would not release the contractor’s name until his family had been notified.

The worker sustained a head injury, Frost said, and was initially unconscious following the fall. However, he was awake and alert by the time emergency units took him away. Pro Ambulance transported the worker to Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana. As of Sunday, no one could comment on the condition of the worker.

Frost said the investigation as to what caused the fall is still under speculation.

“We don’t believe it was wind related since he was working inside,” Frost said. “We don’t believe there were any outside conditions that caused the fall, but we are still investigating.”

Frost could not be reached Sunday to comment on the investigation.

Police interviewed several workers who witnessed the incident. The contractor was working one of two new elevator shafts being added to the west side of the stadium.

Construction on the stadium had continued when emergency units left, Frost said.

Multiple attempts to reach Williams Brothers Construction were unsuccessful.