News briefs: Unusual challenge to be featured at art show in Vermillion County

By Jenette Sturges

Joe Taylor, co-owner of Sleepy Creek Vineyards, has challenged others to take discarded wooden pallets and transform them into works of art.

“One item I see everyday being discarded in my businesses is a wooden pallet. As an artist, tree hugger and junk collector, I’m always asking myself if I can use a discarded object to make something,” said Taylor, mastermind behind the art show and challenge.

Entries can be either artistic or functional, and artists are welcome to use other materials in addition to the pallets. There is no entry fee, but entrants are asked to call ahead if their entry will be larger than a large pig.

The show of finished creations will be on display at the Sleepy Creek Vineyards from July 14th to Aug. 5th. For more information, visit sleepycreekvineyards.com.

Local equine rescue holds open house to educate public about horse issues

Crosswinds Equine Rescue in Tuscola will host its 4th annual open house on July 21.

The event will feature pony rides and the chance to ride a rescued Anheuser-bred Clydesdale horse, the kind featured in Budweiser commercials. The 4-year-old horse had been neglected before it was rescued by the agency.

“This event is our biggest chance to make the public aware of the work we do, of the need for horse rescue, and of the other services we offer, such as Farrier (hoof care) and horse training,” said president AnnMarie Cross in a press release.

The event also includes experts and demonstrations on equine acupuncture and nutrition, and a quilt raffle.

The event will be held at the Crosswinds Equine Rescue in Tuscola from noon to 6 p.m. on July 21. For more information, visit cwer.org or e-mail [email protected].

Compiled by Jenette Sturges