News briefs: CDC recalls canned soups, sauces linked to botulism in Ind. and Texas

By Jenette Sturges

Four cases of botulism have been reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Texas and Indiana in connection with Castleberry Hot Dog Chili Sauce.

Castleberry Food Company, owned by Bumble Bee Foods, has expanded a recall of goods to include nearly 100 varieties of chili, beef stew, corned beef hash, barbecue pork, hot dog chili sauces, sausage gravy and dog foods, according to a press release from the Vermilion County CDC.

According to the Illinois Department of Public Health, each recalled can labels or can ends bearing the establishment number “EST 195” inside the USDA seal of inspection. Consumers who have any of the food in their homes should dispose of it immediately by double-bagging it and throwing it in the trash.

Danville Dans go to bat Wednesday against breast cancer

The Danville Dans baseball team is going at bat for a cure this Wednesday in a fundraiser for breast cancer research. Danville Stadium and Provena United Samaritans Medical Center will donate $1 to local breast cancer programs for every paid admission to the game against the Dubois Bombers.

In addition, raffle prizes will be awarded after each inning and the Dans will hold a balloon release of pink balloons with the names of those affected by cancer inside them. Umpires for the contest will be sporting pink shirts as a token of respect of the disease.

First pitch is at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday at Danville Stadium.

Compiled by Jenette Sturges