News briefs: Professor Charles Tabb named interim dean of College of Law

By Jenette Sturges

Starting Aug. 16, there will be new management at the College of Law. Professor Charles Tabb, the Alice Curtis Campbell Professor of Law, was recently named the interim dean of the College of Law by University Provost Linda Katehi.

Professor Tabb has been on the faculty at the University for 23 years and has published three books on bankruptcy law. Previously, he was appointed by Chief Justice William Rehnquist to the Advisory Committee on the Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure of the Judicial Conference of the United States. He has also advised the state of Illinois and the National People’s Congress of the People’s Republic of China on the reform of bankruptcy law.

Professor Tabb succeeds Dean Heidi M. Herd, who has served in the post for the past five years, but is now returning to the faculty.

Allerton Park to offer free concert to celebrate ‘Seven Wonders’ award

Being named one of the seven wonders of Illinois seemed a pretty good reason for Allerton Park to throw a party.

Allerton Park will host a free concert next Saturday, Aug. 11, to celebrate the designation. Barry Cloyd and Celtricity and Bloomsday will entertain music lovers with a mix of Irish, Celtic, blues and folk tunes.

“This concert is our way of saying thanks to all of our supporters who helped to make this distinction possible,” said Jim Gortner, Allerton’s associate director in a press release.

In addition to free admission, Allerton is offering door prizes, including tickets to the upcoming Allerton Barn Music Festival.

The designation was awarded by the Illinois Board of Tourism, which chose seven landmarks to represent the seven regions of the state. Allerton was chosen by residents and visitors who voted online for the park to represent Central Illinois.

The concert will be held at the music barn on the south side of Allerton Park, from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 11. Visitors are encouraged to bring their own lawn chair or blanket, sit back and enjoy the music.

Dunk Champaign police, fire chiefs for charity to update city memorial

Champaign’s police and fire department chiefs are about to get soaked for charity. The departments are taking part in this year’s National Night Out festivities at West Side Park by jumping in the dunk tank. Proceeds will go toward updating the Fire and Police Memorial located at the northeast corner of West Side Park.

The memorial, costing $100,000, will be a granite monument with two life-sized bronze statues honoring local fire and police employees who have died in the line of duty.

This year’s National Night Out event will take place Tuesday, Aug. 7 in West Side Park from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Bank offers loan cuts for hybrid cars

A new deal between Hickory Point Bank & Trust and the Illinois State Treasurer’s Office will benefit drivers who think green.

Under the new Green Rewards program, customers who finance new hybrid, electric or fuel cell vehicles with Hickory Point Bank will receive a $1,000 rebate from the State Treasurer’s Office. The program is designed to encourage more drivers to purchase eco-friendly cars by helping them recoup their investment faster while simultaneously saving money at the pump.

The Treasurer’s Office funds rebates by depositing money at local banks and credit unions at a below-market interest rate. The money that those institutions save in interest is passed to consumers in the form of a $1,000 rebate at the time of purchase.

For more information, contact Hickory Point Bank at 217-875-3131.

Compiled by Jenette Sturges