Apartment construction causes Green Street closing

By Andrea Cheng

Students returning from summer break might have walked through the enclosed boarded walkway on Green Street wondering what became of the vacant store and the Indian vegetarian restaurant that once occupied it.

Located next to Antonio’s Pizza, 619 E. Green St, will be the home of Bankier Apartments’ four, new luxury townhouses and two new commercial spaces. Taking the place of the former Record Service building, the new two-story, lofted townhouses will house four bedrooms each.

The construction, headed by Broeren Russo, is adding an additional floor to the building for apartment space. The addition has resulted in the closing of the eastbound lane of Green Street, as well as the construction of an enclosed boarded walkway. The restricted lane of Green Street has redirected vehicles toward the center lane to maintain two-way traffic.

The ground floor will have two, new commercial spaces for rent. One space is currently unoccupied, while the other will reopen as the Indian vegetarian restaurant, East & West Fast Food. The second and third floors of the building will be dedicated to the townhouses.

Miriam Booth, general manager of Bankier Apartments, said the construction of the new building will definitely improve the general appearance of the street. Booth added that in addition to their appearance, the townhouses will appeal to the students for their proximity to the Quad.

The new luxury apartments are an expansion of the realtor’s apartments located on 202 E. Green St., Justin Winterbottom, assistant property manager of Bankier Apartments, said.

“I think (the new apartments) will rent right along with our 202 luxury apartments,” Winterbottom said. “We’ve never had a problem with renting apartments … they’ll fill up before anything else.”

Despite the anticipated success rate of the new townhouses, they will most likely meet other housing competition, Winterbottom said.

Booth said that residents of the new Bankier Apartments will benefit from living in a spacious area of more than 1,500 sq. ft., including a washer, dryer and stronger security.

The lot was purchased in July, sparking the beginning of construction. The set completion date is mid-January if construction remains on schedule. The projected opening of the townhouses will be August 2008 or by fall semester.

“(Construction) is moving along well,” said Chris Myers, project manager of Broeren Russo. “We’re still on schedule.”

The date for students to apply is currently undetermined until Bankier Apartments confirms the opening date.

Rent will be approximately $2,700 a month, not including utilities. Even though the high rental price may deter some students from applying, Booth said she feels that the price will be affordable.

“We thought it was an ideal place to live,” Booth said. “The location doesn’t get any better.”