Briefs: Pipe problem closes lane on Springfield Avenue

By Amanda Graf

Westbound traffic on Springfield Avenue will be merged into one lane between Randolph Street and State Street from 8:15 a.m. to noon today.

National Power Rodding will need to close the lane in order to investigate a pipe problem.

The city of Champaign encourages the public to obey all construction signs or plan alternative routes to avoid this work.

Champaign County holds voter registration event

A Voter Registrar will be available on Saturday, Sept, 1 and Saturday, Sept. 22 from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Urbana Market on the Square, also known as the farmers’ market, in Lincoln Square.

In order to register, a person must be a U.S. citizen, 18 years of age on or before the next election and a permanent resident in his or her precinct 30 days prior to the election. Two forms of identification are required, one of which showing permanent residence in Champaign County.

Champaign County Clerk Mark Sheldon urges all permanent residents of Champaign County to take advantage of this opportunity to register to vote.

Those unable to attend the registration event may register at the County Clerk’s Office, 1776 E. Washington St., Urbana, between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, or call 384-3724.

Rep. Jakobsson to speak on Medicare next week

State Rep. Naomi Jakobsson, D-Urbana, will address Medicare concerns for seniors and people with disabilities this Wednesday, Sept. 5, from 1 p.m.-2 p.m. at Windsor Court in Savoy.

A press release from Persons Assuming Control of their Environment, Inc. Center for Independent Living said that Rep. Jakobsson is a strong advocate for seniors and has served on numerous House committees in support of issues pertaining to Medicare recipients.

For more information contact Georgianna Frye at (217) 344-5433 or (217) 344-5024.

Compiled by Amanda Graf