Sorority recruitment ends with Bid Day assignments

By Wesley Deberry

Rain and gloomy skies could not keep the 2007 Formal Recruitment from marching forward this weekend. The 60 members of Recruitment Group 15 filled the lobby of the Undergraduate Library early Friday evening, as each was given a list of six designated sororities to visit that evening.

As some Potential New Members filed out of the lobby, others stood with a look of confusion on their faces. Gamma Chi (Greek counselor) Kim Burke, senior in Business, aided these women with directions.

Giving directions, lending an ear and even putting Band-Aids on blisters are all parts of Burke and her fellow counselors’ jobs since the beginning of the 2007 recruitment. Gamma Chis are sorority members who disassociate themselves from their chapters during recruitment to aid Potential New Members through the process.

They are given no monetary reward for their duties and are subjected to a competitive screening process to become a Gamma Chi.

“I chose (to become a Gamma Chi) because I found the whole sorority life very fulfilling,” Burke said. “I learned a lot and I wanted to pass that knowledge and experience on to the incoming women.”

Watching bags on the lawns of sorority houses as Potential New Members were entertained inside seemed to be the highlight of Burke and her fellow Gamma Chis’ duties over the weekend.

Despite the bad weather and the repetitive nature of their tasks, Stephanie Woo, Gamma Chi from Alpha Phi sorority and senior in Communications, said it was “exciting” to be a part of the whole recruitment process.

Despite Burke’s efforts, three Potential New Members in her group dropped out of the 2007 Formal Recruitment over the weekend. Beth Rahn, junior in Business and vice president of public relations for Panhellenic Council, said Gamma Chis go through a “Work Week” in which they are formally trained to handle situations that might arise among Potential New Members.

While the girls who withdrew were not willing to comment, Burke said she respects the women’s decisions but fears feelings of regret may surface later.

“The worst part that I feel when girls withdraw from recruitment is they haven’t given it a full chance,” she said.

Sunday’s “Bid Day” found Burke and the other Gamma Chis in a happier scene. Potential New Members filled the Quad as the Gamma Chis passed out envelopes to each woman containing their official sorority house selection.

“I love the house I got,” said Mary Scherer, freshman in LAS and new member of Delta Zeta. “It was my number one pick, and I was very happy.”

But while hugs were exchanged between many Potential New Members, tears flowed down the faces of some.

For Burke, Sunday marked the end of her disassociation period. Since the beginning of school Burke has not talked to anyone from her official sorority, Kappa Delta, nor worn any sorority apparel.

“When I came back to school, I wanted to see my friends that I had not seen for a while,” Burke said. “In the same respect, I met a lot of friends through the Gamma Chi process,”

United again with her Kappa Delta sisters, Burke welcomed new members to the sorority. Around 1:45 p.m. Sunday, the Quad emptied out, as each sorority headed back to their chapter house for a day of planned activities welcoming their new members.