Student senate votes to renew informative ‘bar card’ program

By Michael Logli

At its weekly meeting Wednesday night the Illinois Student Senate discussed whether to appropriate money for bar cards. These cards have telephone numbers for places such as McKinley Health Center on one side and advice on the best actions to take when approached by police on the other side. Senators pass these out in bars during their yearly “Know Your Rights” campaign.

Last year there was a small surplus of cards did not get passed out. Senators argued whether to spend $700 to purchase the same amount of cards as last year.

Graduate student and senator Gerald Charleston said he believed the cards were a waste of money.

“I don’t think we should spend money on helping students break the law,” he said. “You can find these numbers on the Internet for free.”

Charleston also argued that most students threw out their bar cards or never used them, but graduate student and senator Jeff Skender said that he found his bar card very useful as an undergraduate.

“I still have mine after two years, and it’s been a great help,” Skender said.

The appropriations request ultimately passed.

The student senate meets on Wednesday nights at 7 p.m. in the Illini Union’s Pine Lounge.