Professor defends animal research

By Matt Spartz

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has claimed George Fahey, professor of animal science, mutilated dogs for his research. Fahey studies the intricacies of digestion in animals to eventually apply the findings to human digestion.

“We would respectfully disagree that they are mutilated,” Fahey said. “They have been surgically modified.”

The research involves surgically implanting a tube into the intestine of a dog, which is then accessible through the side of the animal. Researchers can then draw digestive fluid from the dog to examine how foods and enzymes are processed. Studying these processes can lead to finding bacteria that can help in human digestion such as that in Activia, a probiotic now added to yogurt products that helps regulate digestion which was found using similar animal testing, Fahey said.

PETA has said there is an alternative method. The “functional gastro-intestinal dog model” (FIDO) is a computer-simulated digestive track that simulates the small intestinal track of a dog, gathering data including temperature and the flow of digestive enzymes.

“Surgically attaching tubes to dogs’ intestines to measure their metabolism and nutrient absorption is as outdated as it is cruel,” said Shalin Gala, research associate for PETA, in a press release.

Gala sent a letter to Chancellor Richard Herman on Sept. 6 requesting the University stop this practice. The letter stated that the FIDO system is capable of “adequately predicting the digestibility of protein for different diets.”

At this time the University does not consider FIDO a viable alternative to animal testing.

“Our campus animal care and use program is accredited by the Association for the Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care,” said Robin Kaler, University spokesperson, in an e-mail statement. “The use of FIDO has been considered. Unfortunately this tool has not been validated in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.”

Fahey said that FIDO, which he helped to create, is a “wonderful endeavor,” but the model does not simulate the large intestine.

Fahey said his research in gastro-intestinal disease takes place primarily in the large intestine of the animal, where diseases are most prominent.

The research with the FIDO system has not been published in any scholarly articles, rendering the research non-existent and unreliable, Fahey said.

Fahey’s research involves extensive work before surgically modifying dogs. His team can create digestive fluids in small bottles, recreating the digestive process.

This weeds out enzymes not suitable for animal testing. “Only the best stuff” makes it to the live testing stage, he said.

Growing up on a beef cattle farm in West Virginia and working with dogs, cats, sheep and cows all his life, Fahey said he would never bring unnecessary harm to animals.

When asked about the prospects of using a tested, proven simulating process in the future, Fahey was in support.

“If they could get to that point, my gosh, we would do it,” Fahey said.