Odds and ends: 6-year-old driver gets stuck in reverse, crashing vehicle

By The Associated Press

BROOMFIELD, Colo. – A hungry 6-year-old grabbed his grandmother’s car keys, positioned his child seat behind the steering wheel and tried to drive himself to an Applebee’s restaurant.

He didn’t get far.

Unable to take the car out of reverse, the boy backed up 75 feet from her house into a transformer Tuesday, knocking out electricity and phone service to dozens of townhouses in this suburb north of Denver.

No one was injured and the boy got out of his car and told his grandmother what happened.

Investigators couldn’t figure out how the boy reached the accelerator.

No charges will be filed.

Kobayashi, Chestnut beaten in wing-eating competition

LAS VEGAS – Two hot dog eating champs faced an upset – not of the stomach variety – when a Chicago culinary arts student trounced them in eating chicken wings.

Patrick “Deep Dish” Bertoletti skinned champion Joey Chestnut and staved off a comeback by Takeru Kobayashi to win the chicken wing “Chowdown” for Spike TV.

Wriggling his body and gnashing his teeth, the 22-year-old downed 4.1 pounds of chicken meat in eight minutes flat in front of a cheering crowd in downtown Las Vegas Tuesday to win the $25,000 top prize.

Chestnut wolfed 4.05 pounds for second while Kobayashi came in third with 3.12 pounds.

Bertoletti, who came into the event ranked 3rd by the International Federation of Competitive Eating, said he used his thumb to squish meat off the bone for speedy ingestion, using the “umbrella technique.” He credited the Buffalo Wild Wings staff for the tasty wings.

“They were warm enough and they were soft enough. They had the perfect amount of sauce on them,” he said. “It was perfect.”

From Associated Press reports