Three Illini football players receive notices to appear in court

By Sky Opila and Katie O'Connell

Three University football players were issued notices to appear in court stemming from an incident at the 600 block of East Daniel Street at approximately 1:56 a.m. on Thursday, Oct. 18.

According to a press release from the Champaign Police Department, Daryle Ballew and Brian Gamble, both 18-year-old freshmen from Ohio, were issued notices to appear in court for being present in a liquor establishment. Mark Jackson, a 19-year-old freshman from Ohio, was issued a notice to appear in court for purchasing and possessing alcohol as a minor and, after further investigation, was later issued a notice to appear in court for resisting and obstructing a peace officer.

All three men had been suspended from play during Saturday’s home game against Michigan.

According to the release, police responded to a call of a large fight. Upon arrival to the scene, three subjects were pointed out to police as being involved in the fight; all three subjects fled the scene and were pursued in a foot chase.

A short time later, Gamble, Ballew and Jackson were stopped for matching the description of the subjects involved in the fight. Officers found probable cause to issue ordinances to all three subjects, but none of the men have been positively identified as suspects involved in the fight and were released at the scene.

At the time of this report, a representative from the Champaign Police Department could not be reached for comment.