University breaks ground on hall

By Meghan O'Kelly

The former site of the Illini Orange took the first step toward its transformation Friday morning. University administrators, students and staff gathered at the corner of Gregory Drive and Euclid Avenue for the groundbreaking ceremony for the Student Dining and Residential Program Building and a new residence hall.

Jack Collins, director of Housing, said the event represented a variety of milestones, including the first new University housing building in more than 40 years. He also said it will present the opportunities to provide state-of-the-art facilities for students, integrate students with disabilities and take new approaches to dining services.

“Inclusion of students with disabilities in the residence halls into the general student population will help further integrate the campus, expand boundaries and contribute to the campus’ mission of ‘Inclusive Illinois’ by providing a transformative learning environment on our campus,” said Chancellor Richard Herman.

Approximately 150 students will live in the new residence hall, which has yet to be named. The building, near the Gregory and Peabody Drive residence halls, will replace Beckwith Hall as the home to students with physical disabilities, integrating them into the University housing community.

Collins said the first floor will be specially designed for these students.

“There will be opportunities for students with disabilities and students who currently live in University housing to interact and to be much more closely involved in activities in the residence halls,” Collins said. “It will really be a great opportunity to more fully integrate the students from Beckwith into the University housing community.”

Plans call for a marketplace-type dining area with made-to-order meals and a coffee house on the second floor, which is likely to be open 24 hours. Collins said the dining facility will also have about eight different types of food available, and he anticipates additional choices for vegetarians.

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Renee Romano credited the faculty in the College of Applied Health Sciences with their expertise in serving people with disabilities and helping students live fulfilling and independent lives.

Their partnership with University Housing, she said, will create an ideal environment for students.

“These buildings will go far beyond the typical residence and dining halls,” she said.

“They have state-of-the-art facilities that will set us apart from other institutions around the nation,” she added.

Formal construction is set to begin in March 2008, with the first students moving in for the Fall 2010 semester, Collins said.

This is the first step in a long-range plan to replace all of the residence halls on the site, which may take 15 to 20 years.

Tanya Gallagher, dean of AHS, called this is a point of pride for the University, which she said is the number one campus in the nation for providing comprehensive access and services for students with disabilities.

Costa Nikolaides, senior in LAS, lives in Beckwith Hall and participated in the groundbreaking.

He said the new facility will bring disabled residents a stronger sense of independence.

“It will help them learn what they can and can’t do on their own,” he said. “It will help mainstream them into the community.”