Mass e-mail warns students of two attempted sexual assaults in campus area

By Ryan Davis

A mass e-mail was sent out Wednesday warning community members about two attempted sexual assaults that occurred in the early morning hours, one of which was near the Quad.

University Police are investigating the two incidents, the first of which occurred at about 1:30 a.m. Assistant Chief of Police Jeff Christensen said University Police responded when the incident was later reported at 2:32 a.m.

“We’re actively and aggressively investigating (the incidents),” said Christensen, who said the University Police are working in accordance with the Champaign Police Department.

The victim told police she was walking east on the sidewalk between Altgeld Hall and the Henry Administration Building. The victim was then approached by a stranger, who grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her into the bushes, striking her in the face with his fist, according to a press release issued by University Police.

The victim fought off the suspect, kicking him in the crotch numerous times, causing him to flee the area. The victim sustained a black eye, swollen nose and scratch on her arm, according to the press release.

The suspect was described as a Hispanic male, 19 to 20 years old, thin build, about 5 feet 6 inches tall, wearing a white T-shirt and baggy jeans. The suspect was last seen running east toward the Illini Union, according to the press release.

The second incident was reported at 2:19 a.m. The victim who reported the incident was walking in an alley of the 300 block of East Daniel Street when a stranger approached her and struck her over the head, according to the mass e-mail.

The victim struggled with the suspect, biting the inside of the suspect’s hand, kicking him in the crotch and striking the suspect’s head. The victim suffered a head injury and cut during the incident.

The suspect was described as a black male, early 20s, 5 feet 4 inches tall, of average build, with short well-groomed hair, light facial hair described as scraggly, wearing a yellow jacket, dark jeans and T-shirt. The suspect was last seen traveling on foot westbound in the 300 block of East Daniel Street.

Christensen said police have no leads at the present time or further descriptors of the suspects.

“We want people to be alert and know what is going on,” said Christensen. “If they happened to be in any of these areas last night, we’d sure like to have a call.”