Odds and ends: Mysterious creature steals donuts from bear hunter

By The Associated Press

MACCLENNY, Fla. – Whether the mystery critter roaming northern Florida is an orangutan, a “baby Bigfoot” or something else, wildlife officials think it might have a bit of Homer Simpson in it.

After a bear hunter said an animal that could be an orangutan stole jelly doughnuts from him, a wildlife investigator has tried to use sweet treats to lure the creature into the open in Baker County.

There have been several sightings of what witnesses have described as a “big orange ball of fur,” though officials have yet to confirm it’s an orangutan, said Karen Parker, a spokeswoman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Some residents think the animal is a spider monkey or even a squirrel. Holmes said he also got a call from a Bigfoot research group asking about it.

“I can’t confirm that it wasn’t Bigfoot,” he said. “That’s one possibility. It’s just not a possibility I’m exploring.”

Pair of pigs wreak havoc in Iowa town while on run

DAVENPORT, Iowa – Who wants a pig in a blanket?

Two stray pot-bellied pigs stirred up a commotion Wednesday morning while on the run from two animal control officers, two police officers and even a couple of utility company workers who joined the 35-minute chase.

Learning from her first pig chase, animal control officer Leah Messmer knew to grab a blanket.

“They’re tough,” she said. “They have no necks, so you really can’t get a collar on them.”

After a few unsuccessful dives, the pigs were caught as workers at various businesses stuck their heads out in disbelief. Some had cameras.

“They dart in and out of cars, and somebody could get hit,” Messmer said. “That’s why you have to catch ’em. Poor little buggers.”

The pigs will be sent to an animal shelter, Messmer said. She presumed they were pets from someone living in the area.

From Associated Press reports