Mendenhall: ‘I’m going to the NFL’

Brian Kersey, The Associated Press

Brian Kersey, The Associated Press

By Daniel Johnson

SKOKIE, Ill. – In a decision he admitted he had been contemplating before the season even started, junior running back Rashard Mendenhall decided Thursday to forego his senior season and enter the NFL Draft.

Mendenhall cited his personal confidence and feedback that he has received from the NFL as helping him make his decision to leave Illinois. Mendenhall did not say in which round he had been hearing from NFL scouts that he might be drafted, but he said that if it was not the first round, he would be surprised.

“The news that I got back from the NFL was really good, (I received) a really good grade,” Mendenhall said.

Mendenhall said the idea of going pro originally came up before the season while talking with running backs coach Reggie Mitchell.

“Before the season started I talked with Coach Mitchell,” Mendenhall said. “We talked about the fact that if I had the year that I wanted to have and the team could do the things that we wanted them to do, I might want to make the decision to jump to the NFL.”

Mendenhall’s junior year was highlighted by setting six single-season records for the Illini in rushing yards (1,681), rushing touchdowns (17), total touchdowns (19), 100-yard games (eight), all-purpose yards (1,999) and scoring (114 points). Mendenhall amassed all of these records in his first season as a full-time starter.

Mendenhall started the press conference on a light-hearted note, giving a faux commitment to stay at the University but then announced his intentions.

“It comes as no surprise that I am here today to announce my decision to stay in school,” Mendenhall said. “No, I’m going to the NFL. This is a decision I feel in my heart is the right one to make. This is the next step that I need to take in my life and in my career.”

Mendenhall said the decision to turn pro was similar to his choice to attend the University in the first place, again citing that it felt right “in his heart” to go. While Mendenhall’s decision to come to Illinois was likely influenced by older brother Walter’s commitment to the University, his absence at Illinois will now give Walter an opportunity to take Rashard’s job in the backfield.

“I have a lot of confidence in Walt,” Mendenhall said about his brother possibly becoming Illinois’ new running back. “(People) have seen the similarities between me and Walt: He’s a big guy, a fast guy, quick feet. I think he’s going to surprise a lot of people, given the opportunity.”

Mendenhall’s decision to turn pro will put his education on hold, but he said that he intends to still get his degree in community recreation. He plans to be on campus this semester until the draft and has yet to hire an agent.

Mendenhall’s career rushing stats at Illinois

Year ATT YDS AVG TD

2005 48 218 4.5 0

2006 78 640 8.2 5

2007 262 1681 6.4 17