Local Briefs: Secretary of State provides services to University

By Andrea Cheng

University students, faculty and staff are reminded to renew their driver’s license or state ID, purchase their annual vehicle license plate sticker, register to be an organ and tissue donor, or complete other transactions at Secretary of State Jesse White’s office Wednesday, Jan. 23. His office is open from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in room 314 at the Illini Union, 1401 W. Green St.

“This partnership between the Secretary of State’s office and the University of Illinois is a great example of how my office can work with public and private institutions to make these transactions more convenient,” White said in a press release.

The only acceptable forms of payment include personal checks and cash. White’s office will provide the same services on campus on Feb. 27, March 26 and April 30.

Town hall meeting to discuss the progressive income tax

A town hall meeting sponsored by Sen. Michael Frerichs, D-Gibson, and Sen. Kwame Raoul, D-Chicago, will be held at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 23 in room D244 at Parkland College, 2400 W. Bradley Ave., to discuss reforming Illinois’ tax structure.

The current system is said to be unfair to middle and low income taxpayers as well as contribute to the state’s revenue shortfall, according to a press release from Sen. Frerichs’ office. Changes are expected in order to fund schools, meet pension obligations and fix the infrastructure. The meeting will feature a presentation by Ralph Martire, a member of the Center for Tax & Budget Accountability.

Parking department to shut down for upgrades

The parking department is upgrading its managing system to better serve customers. From Feb. 4 to Feb. 6, all financial transactions, including processing citation payments, issuing or adding time to cash keys and purchasing new permits will be unavailable. Additionally, online financial services, including paying citations, submitting appeals or purchasing permits will be unavailable. However, temporary parking needs will be accommodated. A public announcement and an e-mail to customers will be sent out.

Parking enforcement and the Motorist Assistance Program will continue as usual. Those who need parking services are encouraged to do so before Feb. 1. For questions, contact the office at (217) 333-3530.

Author speaks about books, views on civilization

Derrick Jensen, an anti-civilization author and environmental activist, will speak at the Illini Union on Monday, Jan. 28. Jensen is an award-winning author of books, including “Endgame,” “Culture of Make Believe,” “A Language Older than Words” and “Walking on Water.” His writings can also be seen in publications, such as The Sun and Orion Magazine. He is known to challenge people to question the way civilization has evolved.

Cultural program available to children and parents

“Around the World Wednesdays” is a program for children and their parents to participate in a variety of culture-based crafts and activities. Six sessions will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Wednesdays between Feb. 6 and March 12 at the Spurlock Museum, 600 S. Gregory St., Urbana. A $2 donation per participant is requested. For more information, contact Julia Robinson at (217) 265-0474 or visit spurlock.uiuc.edu