Negative wind chills hit area hard

By Melissa Silverberg

Bitter cold temperatures hit the Champaign-Urbana area Thursday morning.

Around 8 a.m. Thursday temperatures fell to negative 3 degrees with the coldest wind chill reaching negative 23 degrees said Greg Trumbold, meteorologist for local NBC affiliate WAND-TV.

“In that kind of weather its really only 15-30 minutes before exposed skin could begin to frostbite,” Trumbold said.

For University students on their way to an early morning class across campus, bundling up was the best option.

“It’s really just about having as little skin exposed as possible,” Trumbold said.

Champaign Public Schools Unit 4 as well as Urbana School District 116 closed for the day due to the cold weather.

The University however continued to hold classes. Robin Kaler is the Associate Chancellor for Public Affairs and said, “It would have to be something where the safety of our students was in danger (to cancel classes)”

MTD buses around campus filled up Thursday morning with students trying to escape the cold air and wind, which gusted up to 10-20 mph according to Trumbold.

“It’s chilly, but students can ride the MTD. The only time in recent memory we cancelled classes is because there was so much snow, student couldn’t walk to class,” Kaler said.