Urbana Board of Education Discusses Updates in Technology for Urbana Schools

By Melissa Chua

John Morrow, director of Instructional Technology at the Urbana School District 116, gave a presentation of the technology used by Urbana schools at the Urbana Board of Education meeting Tuesday.

Morrow talked about where the school district was in terms of technology for students and staff in all grade levels from childhood education to high school, according to Mark Schultz, spokesman for the Urbana School District 116.

Morrow hopes that student and staff computers at Urbana schools can eventually be updated every three years, according to Schultz.

A few teachers at the board meeting demonstrated technology currently being used in the schools. One teacher showcased a student’s art portfolio on the computer, according to Schultz.

“Technology isn’t just an attention-getter,” said Don Owens, assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction at the district, “it’s the best practice learning tool.”

The school district is workig toward acquiring new Whiteboard Technology, which is essentially a computer projected on a large screen that teachers can write on with special computerized pens, according to Schultz.

There is currently no set time frame the school board is following in terms of implementing new techology because the district faces the problem of limited funds, said Schultz.