Construction continues on environmentally friendly apartments

By Jen Solley and Kala Causemaker

You’ve probably noticed all the construction on Green street, but did you know that the luxury apartments on Green street were going green?

These apartments, referred to as 309, will be energy efficent in more ways than one.

var UniqueNameFO = { movie:”https://www.dailyillini.com/media/paper736/interactive/yuzsjt81.swf”, width:”200″, height:”233″, majorversion:”8″, build:”0″, xi:”true” };

UFO.create(UniqueNameFO, “di_inline_flash”);

Get macromedia Flash Player

Leasing coordinator Rachel Singer said 309 is making an effort to lower the cost of utilities. Singer comments that “going green” benefits both the tenants and the environment.

“It benefits the residents by keeping their rates down,” Singer said. “It also helps the community. For example the landscaping on the eighth floor, it helps absorb air pollution, it reduces noise transfer from the outdoors.”

The building will be equipped with specialized systems that require less energy to operate. Plans also include low emission glass windows. This will keep the heat out, and the cool air in, during the summer months and have a reverse effect in the winter.

However, one future resident, Nicole Scime, said that 309’s choice to “go green” was simply an added bonus.

“It actually wasn’t a deciding factor, it was more the work out facility and the pool and fact that it was brand new,” Scime said. “I’m excited that it’s energy efficent because I know that it’ll help keep our utility bills stay cheaper.”

Construction began last spring and the building is expected to be complete by the fall semester.