Student senate requests traffic patrol on campus

By Michael Logli

The Illinois Student Senate unanimously supported an executive order Wednesday asking the University to ease the congested traffic at Sixth and Chalmers streets in Champaign. The resolution asks the University to place station patrol officers, normally used for Illini sporting events, at the crossing during class changes to help guide traffic through the one-way streets.

A majority of the problem stems from the construction at Newman Hall and the Chilled Water project, a project that installs chilled water meters in order to help conserve energy. The construction makes it difficult for students to cross at night and during classes, said Justin Randall, senior in LAS and student body president.

“The Newman hall construction has basically engulfed everything on that side,” Randall said. “I’ve had a lot of trouble crossing there.”

Dan Nugent, grad student and author of the resolution, said the Champaign Urbana Mass Transit District is having trouble keeping buses on time when going through the intersection. When a bus is more than six minutes late, Nugent said the MTD starts another bus, which wastes more gas and causes more money to deploy.

“They have to run another bus with another driver and more fuel just because it’s backed up two blocks,” Nugent said.

There is currently a flashing stop light at the intersection, but Nugent said that after observing traffic at the intersection and the MTD buses, he said he believes the light does not eliminate the problems caused during class changes.