Date rape drug rumored to sterilize women a myth, researchers assert

By Brittany Abeijon

A date rape drug called Progestrex has been rumored to not only drug a woman, but also to sterilize her eggs, making it impossible for her to ever have children in the future.

Despite the circulation of rumors, this drug has been proven a hoax.

Dialogue surrounding the drug suggested the sterilization was specifically so rapists could not get a woman pregnant and link them to the rape.

The drug was supposedly available on any campus with access to veterinarian supplies because rumors said it was originally used to sterilize large animals,

Dr. Suzanne Trupin, women’s health doctor at McKinley Health Center and clinical professor of obstetrics and gynecology, said there is no such thing.

“(There is) no quick ovulation suppressant known to have permanent effects on one’s ovaries,” Trupin said.

“Date rape drugs usually involve slipping medications in drinks; getting someone drunk effectively does the same thing. The real danger is drug interactions.”

Interpersonal Violence and Safety Education Coordinator at Carle Foundation Hospital Patty Metzler said this drug myth has been perpetrated since about 1999 with different variants.

“As far as the medicine being available in vet med, that’s not true. They have stuff to keep animals from going into estrus, but even that is not permanent,” said Metzler, who is also the satellite education coordinator for the Illinois Poison Center.

“We have the same medication for humans; it’s called birth control pills, or other birth control in shot form, patches used or sutured under the skin.”

Sherrie G. Clark, assistant professor of farm animal reproduction medicine and surgery, said she is familiar with progestagens used to keep female animals from showing signs of estrus and ovulating.

Estrus is the time when female animals will accept the male for mating.

“Synthetic progestagens are used in human birth control pills to keep them from ovulating, but it will not kill a woman’s eggs,” Clark said.

As this drug was consistently proven false, there are drugs, including Rohypnol, commonly known as roofies, and GHB, which have been used to sexually assault and/or burglarize victims.

The health question and answer Internet resource produced by a division of health services at Columbia University called Go Ask Alice! encourages discussion about these rumors.

The Web site states that much research was done on the matter, and no evidence of the existence of such a drug was substantiated by veterinarians, pharmacists and researchers at the Food and Drug Administration, Center for Veterinary Medicine, American Veterinary Medical Association, Cornell University, Equine and Farm Animal Hospital, University of Saskatchewan, Western College of Veterinary Medicine or University of Pennsylvania Veterinary School, New Bolton Center.

A statement on the Web site made by health officials reads: “This isn’t the first time that seemingly implausible situations have popped onto the scene, and it no doubt won’t be the last. The volume of information and the speed at which it can travel around the world sometimes makes it more difficult to separate the truth from the crap. Some sound research from reputable resources is a good tool to have along to reach reality.”